Hi, I'm Marisa!
When I’m asked about my background, I often describe how my love of activity, of challenge, and of sport were the vehicle for my own personal growth and healing. These days, as a therapist and counselor, I bring that same passion and commitment to working with my clients.
I raced bicycles professionally at both national and international levels for many years and then moved to long distance triathlons, where I spent my final “pro” years. This brought me many top honors, podium steps, and even a national title—all for which I am so grateful.
However, I soon came to realize that no “gold medal” could fill a void that was on my inside and thus I began my own healing process. In 2013 I started the transition from full-time athlete to full-time counselor and coach. Through my racing career, I came to identify with and confront many of my own personal obstacles. Although I do still participate in some competitions, my real love and passion lies in helping others. I believe each and every one of us has the right to live a happy, free, and vibrant life.
To that I am committed.
Mostly these days I spend my free time running (hiking or walking) in the mountains near my hometown of Durango or in the winter, exploring the beautiful high sonoran desert in Arizona-a more recent passion. I have no problem these days slowing down to work in my garden, or on my latest oil painting project. My husband and I love to cook meals together and do some exploring in our little motorhome. We are proud parents to our two fur babies: Lucky and Nellie.
Peanut Butter, Early Mornings, Desert Sunsets, Australian Shepards, Aloha, Anything Turquoise, Sweden, Trails in the Wilderness (or just about anywhere).
- 10 years Professional Bicycle Racer
- 3 years Professional Triathlete
- 2010 US National Championship Title
- USAT Worlds Team member
- Over 30 career podium finishes
- Course record holder for various road and mountain running events
- 2018 Imogene Pass Run Master’s Champion
- 2019/2020 — Out on Injury and Recovering from Ankle Surgery
- Licensed Professional Counselor, State of Colorado (#0015528 )
- Registered Psychotherapist in private practice, State of Colorado since 2013
- Family Systems Counselor in Wilderness Therapy Program
- Advanced & Specialized Training in Somatic Resiliency (on going)
- Master of Arts in Clinical Counseling, Adams State University, Alamosa, Colorado 2013
- Middle School Science Teacher in Durango, Colorado 2003-2010
- Colorado Secondary Science Teaching License, Fort Lewis College, Durango, Colorado 2003
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas 2000